Rosendale Guest House
This property was part of the original Alfred Waylen Darlington Vineyard that was finally subdivided for residential use around 1916. The block that would later go on to become Rosendale was lot 46, comprising 2 acres of Swan Location 952. This part of the subdivision was first purchased by Thomas Oby Ireland in 1921 and he used a Glen Forrest builder, George Robert Arthur Shepherd. George duly applied to the Greenmount Road Board in September 1921 to build a house on this part of the Darlington Vineyard Estate and his application was approved. The house was constructed of jarrah and had 5 rooms, lined cellite, beautiful verandahs, polished jarrah dado, large vestibule, a 21’ x 8’ bathroom, every modern convenience (electricity, water and telephone) and 3 x 1000 gallon water tanks.
Thomas was a Grocer / Storekeeper who had migrated to W.A. from England prior to WW1 and set up a grocery business in North Perth which he operated until moving to Darlington with his family around 1922. It appears that Thomas went into partnership with Adolphus Terelinck forming A. Terelinck & Co. in Murray Street, Perth which dealt in real estate. He would have commuted to Perth each day, probably on the train, to his workplace while living in Darlington. In 1925 Thomas and his family moved back to the city, setting up Irelands Cash Stores Ltd in Cottesloe, dealing in wholesale and retail groceries. In June 1929, Lot 46, along with Lots 48 and 49, also owned by Thomas, were put up for public auction but were passed in at £950.
In 1930 the three properties were finally sold to retired Bank Manager Frederick Langley and his wife Fanny. The 3 properties consisting of over 6 acres was made up of Lot 46 with the house and tennis court plus 4.5 acres of improvements being orchard, currant, raisin and grape vines. It was during the Langley residence that a small cottage was added to Lot 46. Their daughter Hilda married into one of the early Darlington families: see below.
“COCKSHOTT—LANGLEY.—On April 22, 1933, at St. Cuthbert's Church, Darlington, by the Rev. G. F. Humphrey, Reginald Thomas, younger son of the late Mr. T.D. Cockshott and Mrs. Cockshott, Bellair, Darlington, to Hilda Sarah, only daughter of Mr. and Mrs. F. A. Langley, Darlington”.
Reginald Thomas Cockshott
Left: Hilda Langley and bridesmaid Patricia Flower, courtesy of Merial Flecker
The Langleys sold Lot 46 in 1936 to widow Violet Dorothy Edmondson who was the mother of 5 daughters, the youngest Roberta was aged just 9 when their father Robert Edmondson died from a shooting accident in 1934. Dorothy named the property “Rosendale” and set it up as a guest and boarding house to help make ends meet. The small cottage on the property was probably what attracted her as it would have been a means to earn extra income. The advertisements in the West Australian in 1936 and 1937 featured a number of the guest houses available in Darlington- all run by women who were either single or widowed as a means to support themselves, Mrs Edmondson was one of them.
1936 Advertisement in the West Australian Newspaper
Above - Rosendale Guest House 1940’s courtesy Anne Charleston
Left - Dorothy Edmondson and her daughters courtesy Philippa Wiggins.
Right - Rev. Lennard Sydney Quinlin with Rosendale in the background 1940’s, courtesy Anne Charleston.
In 1939 there was a new Anglican Minister who arrived to serve at St Cuthberts: Lennard Sydney Quinlin, who found his way to the Edmondsons where he was accommodated in the small cottage next to the house and as the longest serving minister in Darlington, this was to be his home until he died in 1972. As well as taking in boarders, Dorothy was able to sell off a portion of land that went down to Beenong Rd. This part of Lot 46 has now been amalgamated into Treetops Montessori School.
Shortly after the Edmondsons came to Darlington, Dorothy was asked by her brother to temporarily take in two small boys (whose young mother couldn’t cope). Norm was aged about 3 and Ted Newman aged about 18 months, this she did although it turned out not to be temporary. She raised them as her own- no doubt with help from all her daughters. Norm went on to become a draftsman and worked at the Lands Dept, later marrying local girl Margaret Leyland, while his brother Ted farmed at Dowerin with his wife Nola Bridle. Both boys married at St Cuthbert’s Church and Norm and Margaret stayed in Darlington until 1963 in a house they built at View Terrace. The boy’s father, William George Newman kept in touch and lived at the Edmondsons with Dorothy and the boys from 1942 until his death in1948 aged 48.
Over time, all the girls except Constance married as young adults, two of them, Dorothy and Roberta, at St Cuthberts in Darlington. Connie, as she was known, taught Sunday School at St Cuthberts for many years and lived with her mother. After her mother’s death in 1969 she married in 1975 to a twice widowed local man, John Tuke. The couple then lived at “Rosendale”, until John’s death in 1982 and Connie’s in 1987. The house was sold after this and has since been a much loved and restored private residence.
1952 Harold Darling and Roberta Joy Edmondson, courtesy Anne Charleston
Connie (nee Edmondson) and John Tuke, courtesy of Philippa Wiggins
Rosendale 11 Owen Rd, 2017
The Edmondson family have a number of dedications in St Cuthbert’s Church to various family members.
There was a stained glass window dedicated by the family for Robert and Violet Edmondson in 1973. [Left]
In thanksgiving, a stained glass window donated from both John and Elsie in 1973. [Right]
Below: A candle holder dedicated to Connie Tuke in c1987.
“In memory of the life and death of Connie Tuke who went to Jesus on May 20th 1987”